great grub 7

I can not take full credit for this dish. I found the recipe at recipeland.com and stole it and made it my own. It is also part of my quest to eat at least 3 vegetarian meals a week and do it on a budget. You can add all kinds of veggies to this dish too. This is a yummy budget-friendly meal for sure! (Sorry no picture this time...I am really bad at remembering to take those!)

Mexican Lentil Casserole

Ingredients:
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
4 cups water
1 cup lentils
2 cups brown rice, cooked
6 oz tomato paste
1 packet taco seasoning
1 1/2 cups shredded fiesta blend cheese
8 oz. sour cream
olive oil

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

In a medium saucepan coated with olive oil, saute onions and green pepper. Add the water. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir in lentils, cover pot, reduce heat to low, and simmer 20 minutes. Lightly oil a casserole dish or spray with a nonstick cooking spray. Remove saucepan from heat and stir in remaining ingredients, reserving 1 cup of cheese, mixing well. Spoon into prepared casserole. Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes. Add reserved cheese blend on top and bake 5 more minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

3 comments:

  1. This was for me. I know it was. LOL. This was SO GOOD!! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made this for dinner tonight: SO GOOD! My only changes were using 1/2 packet taco seasoning and 1/2 packet chili seasoning (I didn't have a whole packet of taco seasoning) and using the medium cheddar I had on hand instead of the fiesta cheese blend. I appreciate a simple, meatless recipe that yields delicious results: YUM!

    ReplyDelete

Dear (stalkers) readers,
I love your feedback so feel free to comment away! Just don't write anything too mean because I'll cry when I delete it!
Sincerely,
You're boostin' my ego