great grub 29

Let's shift gears a little bit and go with a good old American (Italian) classic, shall we? I love pasta, pasta does not love me however. As an insulin resistance girl I am supposed to cut waaaay back on all things sugar and carb. I did a great job of avoiding those things back when I did this. However, sometimes a girl just needs some pasta, am I right? So here is a family favorite in our house (not to mention it makes a ton and freezes well!)

Lasagna

Ingredients:
- 1 box lasagna noodles
- 3 jars of your favorite sauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 container ricotta cheese
- 1 cup parmesean cheese
- 4 cups mozzarella
- 1 lb. ground meat (beef, chicken, turkey...)
- any veggies you want (carrots, zucchini, spinach...)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Boil lasagna noodles according to package directions and allow to cool being careful to separate them so they don't stick to each other. Beat together the eggs and parmesean cheese. Brown the meat and drain. Cook any veggies you like and puree in your food processor. Add to your jarred sauce. (Yes you overacheivers can use homemade sauce, the rest of us will take the easy way out by adding yummy veggies without our husbands ever knowing they are there!)
Mix the meat, sauce, veggies together. In an 11x14 inch casserole spread a little of the sauce mixture on the bottom. Put one layer of noodles on top. Top that with half of the ricotta/egg mixture and add 1/3 of mozzarella. Ladle 1/3 of the sauce mixture on that. Repeat until you are out of noodles. Your last layer should be the remaining mozzarella.
Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for 15 more. Let it stand for at least 15 minutes.
Mmmmmmmmmm, pasta.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Yum! I like the idea of adding veggies to the sauce. I'm *not* an overachiever, so I use the jarred stuff, too. :o) Do you always pre-cook your noodles? My mom never did and her noodles always cooked up fine. Any time I've tried it they haven't worked, so I'm guessing I don't use enough sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Esther - Yes, I have tried not precooking my noodles, but only if I make the lasagna in the morning and let it sit in the fridge all day, then cook it that night. That helps to soften them enough. They also have "oven-ready" pasta now, I haven't tried it yet though. (It's more expensive ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have tried the oven ready pasta and it is good. In fact, that is what I use when I do lasagnas because I am lazy... lol!

    I think that looked DIVINE.

    ReplyDelete

Dear (stalkers) readers,
I love your feedback so feel free to comment away! Just don't write anything too mean because I'll cry when I delete it!
Sincerely,
You're boostin' my ego