great grub 6

I am pleased to announce that this recipe is all mine. I just made it up as I went along. We had small group last night and the Owen's house and they ordered pizza. We offered to bring the dessert. Normally I make something chocolate, but I had a feeling Ms. Iona would bring her infamous congo bars (and she did!). I decided on a fruit dessert, and that is where this came in:

Strawberry Shortcake Trifle

Ingredients:
- 1 vanilla pound cake (store bought or homemade)
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 4 Tbsp confectioners sugar
- 1 bag frozen strawberries, thawed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup crushed graham crackers

Directions:
Cube pound cake into 1 inch cubes. Beat cream and confectioners sugar together on low until it forms stiff peaks (don't over mix or it becomes butter!) Store in refrigerator. Combine strawberries and sugar in large pot over medium heat. Use a potato masher to gently crush strawberries and release their juices. Add the cream of tartar and continue to stir, about 3-4 minutes. Take strawberries off the heat and let cool. When cool enough, store in refrigerator for 30 minutes to chill. Assembly: Layer half the pound cake in the bottom of the trifle bowl. Spoon half the strawberry mixture over the top evenly. Then layer half of the whipped cream. Repeat the process with the remaining ingredients. Top with graham crackers and serve!!!

Disclaimer: no, this isn't my actual picture, I forgot to take one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear (stalkers) readers,
I love your feedback so feel free to comment away! Just don't write anything too mean because I'll cry when I delete it!
Sincerely,
You're boostin' my ego